The Western Sun

Women’s swim outnumbered but not out

Carlos Carmona, Staff Writer

Women’s swim recently went to Riverside City College to compete in the Orange Empire Conference. They were up against six schools and many of those schools had a lot more swimmers than Golden West. Even with being outnumbered, the Golden West College Rustlers managed to get 4th place and have three of the Rustlers swimmers attend the State Championships.

Coach Matt Flesher, felt his team did really well, he said “I think we did great, we finished second place in conference in all of our relay events so the five relay events which was great. We had multiple finalists and most importantly all swimmers that participated swam season best times, and we had three girls qualify for states”

Flesher mentioned the three girls that made it to states are Rheanna Lawrence, Vanessa Cruz and Cambria Greer and that training for the state championships is different since it’s just three participants.”It’s a little different because we are just focusing on just three athletes doing individual events, we don’t have relays, they have the opportunity to just focus on their individual events”

Rheanna Lawrence took the time to speak about her performance at the conference. “We did really well just supporting each other, I remember we had a race or somebody made finals, we would always be cheering, kind of pushing each other. There’s really nothing we could have done different, we did the best we had its just we didn’t have the numbers. We need more swimmers, more people on the team. The best thing happened to us”

She stated how the next upcoming meet will possibly be her last meet. Her plans are to be finished after the state championships and to look at her options. She referenced it to an open door, and when asked if she will walk though that door she said “it depends on where I can go to go through the door, what colleges have my majors”
Women’s swim next meet is May 4 which is the CCCAA State Championships, which will be hosted at De Anza College.