The Western Sun

What happened to Tarin Olson?

Spencer Otte, Entertainment

Last month, Golden West College made national headlines when a GWC counselor, Tarin Olson was filmed verbally abusing an Asian couple and telling them to “go back to their own country”. She was immediately put on leave, and the district released a statement saying that they would be “reviewing all internal policies and viable options for next actionable steps.” Once again, that was over a month ago, and no “actionable steps” have been taken.

At the Student Interest Committee meeting held last month to discuss Olson, the biggest complaint students had was the lack of transparency in the matter. They said that if they knew what was going on, they would not have felt the same anger and confusion that they did. Even some of the teachers in attendance expressed frustration with the situation and the fact that they were unable to answer questions or talk to students about the incident.

Take a look at the comments on any given post on the GWC Facebook page. Very nearly all of them are about Tarin Olson. For the time being, this is the thing that Golden West is going to be known for. “This is ridiculous. I was willing to give you some time to work through the disciplinary action process re: Tarin Olson but here we are over a month later and still no action or updates?” one comment about a nursing workshop reads. “Perhaps you are hoping the public will forget about this or perhaps you are on the same page as her…”

The longer the Coast district takes to take action the further Golden West’s reputation is tarnished. Anger at the situation is being wrongly directed at the college, which has no part in the decision making process. The negative press may dissuade incoming students. This is a complicated issue with a lot of legal consequences, but Golden West students demand more transparency than we are getting.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “What happened to Tarin Olson?”

1. JP on May 1st, 2018 11:00 am

Well, it’s been two months and still no updates from the GWC administration. I guess Tarin Olson does represent GWC’s values after all.

2. ktd on May 2nd, 2018 10:04 am

Golden West students demand more transparency than we are getting.

How’s that working out for ya ?

Apparently the college needs a little push or reminder to do the right thing .

3. JD on May 12th, 2018 1:25 pm

The dinosaurs in charge have probably never handled anything like this before. She is basically done. The Internet has completely roasted her. That’s how it works nowadays. Their college is headed down the same path unless they take some immediate measures to calm the situation. They do not understand the consequences of social media and how it is hurting them. They are basically doing everything wrong in the way they handle this.

4. Ethan on May 12th, 2018 7:36 pm

I cannot believe that Coast Community College District hasn’t taken any action.
    It’s insulting that they believe we will simply forget.
    The longer you wait the more damage is done, I don’t think I will be able to look at my degree from GWC with pride. I don’t believe I’ll ever send my kids to any colleges under CCCD. The lack of action that was taken has really harmed the colleges image, this was completely avoidable.

5. HH on May 15th, 2018 12:57 am

Been trying to find out what the latest is…?

This is a very disturbing situtation. I am Hoping NOT forgotten and shoved under the carpet. It’s Wrong all the way around. A disgrace.

It is VERY strange that there has been nothing more to find on this matter. Just the sound of crickets..

I do believe If it is the house where she lives – has a For Sale sign up this past week.. And she has changed to a new car…

6. Jake on June 14th, 2018 7:04 am

Do you guys know if there have been any updates on this case? These types of behaviours should not be tolerated in a just and civilised society and we will not forget about matter, if that’s what the college thinks. Maybe it’s time to submit a Freedom of Information Act request to compel the college to surrender the information.

7. J on July 17th, 2018 1:34 pm

Well, if you take a look at the Fall schedule online, it shows that she’s not teaching so there’s that. Her class was Counseling 104. Buh bye.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student News Site of Golden West College
What happened to Tarin Olson?