The Western Sun

Track and field is ready, set, go for a new season

Andrew Kine, Staff Writer

The worship of Zeus still endures onthe campus of Golden West College. Or at least, the rites that used to be held in his honor do, in the form of the sport of track and field. The discus, the javelin throw, foot races, these were events in the Olympic games of ancient Greece, held in honor of the king of the Grecian gods and important enough that wars were put in abeyance to allow participants to travel safely from their own city to the one where the games were being held and back.

At GWC, head coaches Monique Henderson and Mark Simpson oversee the modern ceremonies of track and field, training their students in more forms of athletic competition than just those of Greece.

While the only track and field meet hosted by GWC this season is past, there are eight meets the Rustlers will be competing in during March, leading up to the Southern California Heptathlon/Decathlon the first week of April. In April, only five meets with the Heptathlon/Decathlon and the Cerritos Invitational at Cerritos College, but 10 junior colleges compete against each other for the Orange Empire Conference finals at Riverside City College the final two weeks of April. While in May, two shining laurel crowns beckon, first those of SoCal held at San Diego Mesa College, and then the state championships in Bakersfield.

This year’s teams are comprised of 17 men and eight women. Jett Gordon stood out last year with his pole vaulting skills, although if the Soka Invitational this year was any indication, freshman Ryan Fegan may be even better. Among the women, freshman Arianna Torres was like a jackrabbit at Soka, although sophomore Jaelani Davalos seems to have been having an off day there.