The Western Sun

‘The Birth’ arrives to GWC

Jewel Dayoan
​"A Message of Paradise" shows contradicting details of light colors with a dark base that blooms the flowers.​

Jewel Dayoan, Staff Writer

Golden West College opened doors to the GWC art gallery to see and hear the voice of Fine Artist, Pegah Samaie, with her art exhibit this month.

On all four walls of the art gallery, Pegah Samaie abstractly shared her backstory with our Rustlers of how it was being a young woman in Iran through her unique masterpieces. Amidst being in between all the wars, protests, and revolutions in post-revolutionary Iran, Samaie let her art speak as loud as not only her voice, but the voices of all the women and witnesses of the same experiences and hardships she had gone through.

Through her still life and symbolic pieces, Samaie finds herself narrating her surrealist stories through one figure that serves multiple meanings. All have derived mainly from the Islamic culture she had lived firsthand. Most of her pieces specifically revolved around the images of flowers, cups, vases, and light that project the voice of women. Samaie explains that within every stroke she put into each masterpiece, she focused on the fact that “cups symbolize women as beautiful, strong vessels, and the flowers represent the new beginning in all my paintings, reach from the darkness of the vessel toward the light of the sky.”

Her main piece, known as “The Birth” represents the exhibit and its symbolism of her art as a whole. The dark background with light-colored cups bloom out a beautiful, pink lily, which brings Samaie’s entire perspective into real life. Plastics and covers tend to make an appearance in some of her works, which enact as a symbol of the covers that try to hold the women from growing and blooming.

Although the essential details of the majority of her pieces consisted of her abstract flowers and cups, she also worked outside of the box, with some of her artworks portraying themes of love and gambling. To represent women, Samaie also brushed her paint on not only canvas, but on pure copper and wood canvases. Samaie also shares that a typewriter makes an appearance and embodies a voice and the water in her artworks, “represents the purity of life in my paintings.”

“The Birth” is still open for sharing its story to the public from now until February 22nd.