The Western Sun

Student center opening approaches.

Andrew Kine, Staff Writer

On April 2, everything will change.

The Enrollment Center building will stand empty, or close to it. The same for the Student Services Annex. Student Life and Leadership will be in a different location, as will Veteran’s Resources and the Assessment Center. For when we return from Spring Break, the newly-built Student Service Center will be open. The place where we will register for classes, buy parking permits, seek financial aid, learn about study abroad and do so many other things which have been scattered around the campus since time immemorial.

“Reduce the ‘bounce factor’ and bring together all the student service functions into a single building,” was how Golden West College described the project to tBP Architecture. “It’s going to be a one-stop center for students,” Colleen Fitzgerald in the Enrollment Center put it in more human terms. “Basically, they will be able to go to one building for all student services. Much more convenient for students.”

Preparations for the move may begin as early as the end of February, with the actual transfer of materials, equipment, and personnel expected to be in mid- to late March. Of the departments asked, only the Answer Center expressed uncertainty as to whether their move would be fully completed by the 2nd and only the Assessment Center volunteered assurance that their normal functions would continue uninterrupted at their current location throughout the move.

One important service which is not moving is Public Safety. The campus police department and their functions will remain in their dedicated building which is manned 24 hours a day.