The Western Sun

Destress for Success during Zen Work

Jewel Dayoan, Staff Writer

ASGWC is back with another relaxing Zen Week lineup that is ready to help for the stressed, depressed, and nicely-dressed students.

Zen Week has returned to fulfill every student’s dream of finding some sort of peace with their studies. ASGWC has continued on with their semesterly tradition at GWC, holding events around campus that are meant to give students a sense of relief and relaxation right before finals week hits. For one whole week, students are able to join into some distressing events.

Many students that first experience the college life have never encountered a Zen Week before, nor are they aware of what “Zen Week” even is. Most high schools, also, don’t offer a period before finals week to let students let loose of their worries. With Zen Week, GWC is aware of the zero amount of sleep, and endless amounts of efforts and stress students put into maintaining their grade.

Working and studying day-by-day every semester can be really stressful for students, and the pressure really builds up. “It can get really frustrating,” said Sky Jackson, Vice President of Sustainability of the GWC Student Council board. “Students need to stay on top of their responsibilities and stay with their well-being.”

If working around the clock to get that last-minute studying in is keeping you from going to all of the chill events Zen Week has in store, Zen Week is keeping all its events within a good period of time between classes. So if you have even just 15 minutes within walking periods, take part in a quick game of Intramural Dodgeball, or have a rapid serenity moment with nature during a yoga session in the Quad.

One event students should be on the lookout for during Zen Week is “Paint Out Your Stress.” “Painting can be really relaxing and it relieves anxiety,” said Manny Leon, Vice President of Public Relations on the Student Council board. “Instead of stressing alone, bringing students together helps them know it’s okay to be stressed and pressured.”

The Campus Life Office will also be offering free snacks and testing supplies all week. Hours in the LRC will also be extended over the course of Zen Week.