The Western Sun

Beach Volleyball: Atsaros and Gonzalez Win Conference Pairs Title.

Dimitris Papakosmas, Contributing Writer

Ashleigh Atsaros and Andrea Gonzalez claimed the Orange Empire Conference (OEC) Beach Volleyball Pairs Championship on April 27, winning the school’s first-ever title in such an event.

The Golden West Beach Volleyball team continued their dominance heading into the conference tournament bringing with them an undefeated conference record of 6-0 (13-4 overall). With home-court advantage, the Golden West team looked to capture the league championship against sixteen pairs that made it to championship weekend.

“We had a good season, we won our conference, I feel good about it. I think the girls just playing hard and winning some close matches brought them together” said, Head Coach Bill Lawler.

The pair of Atsaros and Gonzalez won in thrilling fashion, taking three sets to beat Irvine Valley College’s Taira Kaawaloa and Megan Ramseyer in the Semi-Final match, winning with an emphatic block by Atsaros. In the finals matchup against Santa Ana College’s top pair of Mikelle Taylor and Viridiana Serrano, Atsaros and Gonzales won a tightly contested three sets, ultimately winning the conference title on their home turf.

“We definitely communicated a lot as a team. We served really well, and played great defense, ” said Atsaros, “Me and my partner did really well this season. We all did really well.”

Atsaros and Gonzalez with the Conference Championship in tow moved on to try and earn the programs first California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) pairs state title on May 1 but fell to Miracosta 4-1 and Riverside 3-2 finishing the season with a 13-6 overall record.

Along with Golden West College’s first ever Beach Volleyball Pairs Title, Atsaros and Gonzalez were named the 2018 OEC Most Valuable Players of the season and were named to the First Team All-OEC joined by teammates Amanda Sosa & Keilani Pearson who were named Second Team All-OEC.