The Western Sun

ASGWC election results are in with a low voter turn out.

Madrid Ruiz, the new ASGWC president.

Madrid Ruiz, the new ASGWC president.

Greg Parks; Golden West College

Greg Parks; Golden West College

Madrid Ruiz, the new ASGWC president.

Andrew Kine, Staff Writer

Didn’t notice that Golden West College had an election recently?

With the low voter turnout of approximately 230 votes cast, that may have been the case. With nearly every candidate running unopposed, a single vote was enough to get them into the office, while the comments for the revised articles of student government ranged from serious feedback to political trolling using a Star Wars reference.

The new Executive President of the Associated Students of Golden West College Executive Council is Madrid Ruiz, the sole candidate who had an opponent running against him. Ruiz was the Executive Vice President this school year, and Delegate of the Year 2106-17. “During this election, I’ve experienced the massive impact of how each student can have on this campus,” Ruiz wrote, a bit incoherently until he pulled his thoughts together. “I’ve learned to be humble and respectful to all my fellow Rustlers. To share the pride and excitement here for ourselves. It was a hard ride to go through. I’ve learned that I’m doing this for GWC and all the students that have come here. I’ve learned from this election to be calm and confidant in everything I can do when it comes to interactions with students, clubs, and in the classroom.”

Elected as the new Executive VP is Salvador Cerda-Rodriguez, the VP of Financial Affairs this year and a winner of the Peace Studies Fellowship.Into the post of VP of Financial Affairs, Leon Ho stepped up to the challenge and the student body has given him the chance to shine. Two incumbents were re-elected to their offices, Manuel Leon as VP of Public Relations and Jenna Hirao as VP of Club Affairs. Jenna was appointed to her office by the ASGWC Student Council in January.In that Jan. appointment, kinesiology major Toby Venegas was the other contender beside Jenna, and he has been elected to be VP of Activities for 2018-19. Sky Jackson’s bid to be re-elected as VP of Sustainability appears to have failed, as no occupant of this office was named in the official results. Likewise, the office of VP of Student Advocacy appears to be vacant for the coming year, awaiting an appointee decided by the rest of the Executive Council.