The Western Sun

Canvas problems fixed, finally

Carlos Munoz, Staff Writer

On March 28, the entire Coastline Community College District changed its system of how to log into canvas and other applications such as the myGWC app. With the change, the technicians provided a way that only one password is needed for all accounts.

However in the process of this change, there were quite a few difficulties that we experienced while trying to login into our canvas page. Jorge Ascencio, Director of Online Instructor, said ”…it was not a Canvas transition, and it did not change Canvas itself in any way. It only allowed faculty and students to use one set of login credentials used for other applications to also login to Canvas. So, in reality the transition that you are inquiring about was not a Canvas transition. However, there was at least one issue that did affect Canvas which was that once the new login system was implemented new Canvas accounts were not being created.”

But as a result of the new canvas pages not being created, than it made it impossible for students to be able to log into their accounts. However, Kevin Harrison, the IT Director of Academic and User Support Services sent out an email to all faculty to be flexible with any due dates for students because the changes made logging into Canvas difficult. This serves as a reminder to students to always check emails for upcoming updates, service updates or just anything changing in the school environment. For questions on future issues and updates about canvas or any online platform related to Golden West, contact Kevin Harrison at [email protected]