The Western Sun

New VP of Club Affairs for GWC

Evelyn Shannen, ASGWC Vice President of Public Relations

It’s a brand new semester and a chance for brand new beginnings with the newly appointed Vice President of Club Affairs.

On Jan. 16, the Associated Students of Golden West College Executive Student Council voted to ratify the presidential appointee Jenna Hirao, a second year film major at Golden West College. The Council interviewed two candidates, Jenna Hirao and Toby Venegas, a first year kinesiology major at Golden West College, were interviewed separately and asked a series of questions by the Executive Student Council before a vote was held to appoint the new Vice President of Club Affairs. After some discussion, the end result was a 4-0-1 vote for Hirao with one abstaining vote from Joseph Nielson, Vice President of Student Advocacy.

Hirao’s new position gives her the responsibility of running the Inter Club Council Meetings and working closely with the clubs to help them succeed during the semester and she’s very excited to get started.

“I’m feeling optimistic to start working with the clubs and start focusing on their needs in order to help them succeed,” Hirao said when asked about her feelings heading into this new position. She believes that clubs create community which is one of the most important aspects of on-campus life. Her goals as the Vice President of Club Affairs are to partner with the Vice President of Student Advocacy to help empower students to take initiative in pursuing their passions as well as trying to make the club formation process as smooth as possible before she leaves Golden West College.

She also plans on working with the Vice President of Public Relations to help ensure that clubs get the most publicity possible for their events to help raise event attendance.

Coming up next month are the special elections for changes to the ASGWC Constitution which are to be held Feb. 12 through Feb.15. There will be two informational forums held Feb. 5 and Feb. 8 (times TBD) to go over all the changes being proposed for voting.